Thursday, August 15, 2013

Evolving Style

So I had one of those moments where you stand in your closet and you see all of your clothes... but you have absolutely nothing to wear. it hit me today that its not that I hate my clothes, and I'm pretty blessed to have a closet with clothes in it, but its that my style is evolving and changing, and what interests me is changing. I've gone through the button down chambray phase (still love my chambray), I've gone though the sweet and girly phase, the edgy phase, and I find now that my style wants to be comfortable with stylish pieces. I'm not one to spend a fortune on only a couple of pieces I do prefer to get more for my money, but I am struggling to find a happy balance of things that I know I will keep wearing (i.e. the basics) and the stylish trendy pieces to keep me excited about my wardrobe.
 
 
I just gave away four huge bags of things that I may still love, but find myself not wearing frequently enough to make room in my closet. So I decided to do some research and I shopped forever 21 and put things into a wish list. this gave me an idea of the silhouettes and styles that I am interested in so that when I go shopping next i'll have some direction of where I want to go. I think this will help me to get the best use out of my closet and still keep me interested through this next year.
 
 
 
so here are some of the things I found myself loving this season.
 
 
 
1. drop shoulder shirts
 
 
 
 
a dropped shoulder often works as a versatile piece in any wardrobe. its perfect for casual comfy days, with a simple pair of jeans or leggings, or it can be dressed up for work. the dropped shoulder gives off a relaxed vibe which I find myself drawn to. its the whole "I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard" kind of shirt.
 
 
2. Chiffon Pants
 
 
 
I just designed a collection for one of my classes which included chiffon pants. they seem so ethereal but comfortable. its a stylish version of a sweatpant in my opinion. its easy to look put together without giving a whole lot of thought. plus you can pair these with so much that's already in your closet.
 
3. Lace
 
 
 
this trend is old, but I still love it. the thing that drew me most to this particular shirt is the style of the lace. I love the thicker detailing at the bottom and the delicate paisley that sort of has a ombre effect from the neck down. its visually interesting and is simple enough for a casual but well put together outfit.
 
4. Graphic Sweater
 
 
 
I love anything with the union jack on it, but this sweater is just really awesome! its got a great texture to it and is slightly oversized for a comfy look. I hate sweaters that feel restrictive. when I think of sweaters I think of something that is roomy and comfy.
 
5.  Tribal Print
 
 
 
I've loved tribal prints for a while now, but I find myself really gravitating towards them this season. I like to find them in neutral or dark colors so that I can mix in another simple pattern or pair it with a colored pant. I think this trend is becoming very chic and edgy.
 
6. Maxi Cardigans
 
 
 
there is something glamorously comfy about a maxi cardigan. it takes some confidence to pull this look off so when your comfy, but owning it you look super chic. I love this trend because its basically like wearing a bathrobe in public!! I feel like I'll be dreaming of my bed a little less when I'm wearing this.
 
7. Headbands
 
 
I love my hair, but when im working all day I find it so annoying when its in my face, therefore I usually tie it up in a bun, but with a headband, I can keep my outfit chic while still keeping my hair out of my face!
 
8. Chain Cuffs
 
 
these kinds of bracelets are great for layering or just on their own. its a simple piece that can add a pop of glam to a casual outfit. I love an oversized sweater with leggings and a shiny pop of gold to add some instant glam!
 
9. Floppy Fedoras
 
these are great for my walk to school, it keeps the wind or rain off but still keeps my outfit looking chic. I love any kind of clothing or accessory that is trendy but serves a purpose as well. black is also a good option because it goes with everything!!
 
10. Biker Booties
 
 
these kinds of shoes are really popular, and I can totally see why. they add some edge to an outfit, but also go with any kind of outfit. wear it with a skirt, or leggings or even jeans. its a simple and neutral enough kind of those with some trendy appeal.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
so that's my plan for this season. research styles before you go shopping and make a list, that way its not something you just pick up and buy... but never wear.. the trick is to put things in your wish list and if you keep thinking about it for a few days chances are you'll get a lot more use out of it!!
 
 
Much Love <3
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment