Friday, October 11, 2013

My Thoughts on Fashion Design

 
Thank you Miranda,
 
I too often get that same skeptical snort from people who don't quite understand fashion and like Miranda, I feel compelled to tell people about things that they don't quite understand.
 
 
Often times I find myself questioning my love for fashion, and my choice to be a designer. and the main thing I tend to focus on is that I am doing what I love. but there is always that voice telling me that what I do and that what I love is superficial.
 
Now  I was uneducated about many things that were involved in the fashion industry. Many things I was unaware of, things I didn't know existed. I am still learning, and I think I will always be learning, and gaining knew insight and knowledge in this industry.
 
There are far more niches in this industry than meets the eye. When I think of fashion design my mind quickly goes to the obvious, the elite group of designers who design for such a small market. But these guys are the best of the best who show at fashion week and design garments that are so beautiful and exquisite and as just an artist I appreciate the workmanship and the skill levels that go into creating such things. But there is so much more to the design world than runway and magazine. Like Miranda said, there are countless jobs that revolve around fashion in one way or another. There are the chemists who research and develop new textiles and concepts. There are the pattern-makers who are mathematicians in their own right, who create patterns and are constantly changing and fine tuning them to fit a mass market of people. There are right brain thinkers and left brain thinkers and the majority or designers have to be both. you have to have creativity, intelligence, passion, and perseverance to succeed and that is only just the start, I have only just briefly touched on this gigantic booming industry.
 
I am capable of things that only this time last year I did not think myself capable of. I have had only a sample of aspects that go into this industry. I have to study into the late hours of the night and focus so much on my work, that I have given up so many other joys in life. I have sacrificed so much to do what I love, and I am not just designing for myself, I am designing for so many people.
 
I have taken math classes, chemistry classes, speech and presentation classes, English, art history, studio art, sewing, sketching, computer aided fashion classes, textile science, textile identification, fashion analysis, trend forecasting, body analysis, color theory, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
 
so maybe that's why I get irritate when people criticize art majors, but the reality of it is, this world not only needs art and creativity, but it craves it. there are so many people who struggle in this world, and I am a firm believer in the power of creative expression that it pains me to see people who struggle who can't express themselves, and I think if we had a bigger focus on the arts we would see less hatred, less violence, less depression, and find more peace with our cultures.
 
art is subjective, obviously, not everyone is going to take a liking to the same things, but it is still a language that we as an entire population, can understand, and the same with fashion. though we may not agree on someone else's fashion choices, it is creating a statement, therefore a language that we can learn to comprehend. It is a commonality between people, it allows people to connect, and find commonalities, and to me that is absolutely wonderful.
 
 
so yes, I question and get questioned about my intentions with my career choice, but when it comes right down to it, I see a world with endless possibilities, and a hope for something better. My objective in my career is not to just become a famous name, and earn as much money as I can, but to make a difference, to help people express themselves, to give them an outlet to say what they are feeling. I want people to be more in touch with their creative artistic side. I want someone to feel confident in the clothes they are wearing.
 
I work extremely hard, I am diligent, and persistent, and strive for greatness just like anyone else who is passionate about what they're doing. Fashion is not just about fancy purses and name brand shoes, but about something more.
 
I understand that this may seem like rambling, and rather confusing, but I hope that it gave you some insight. I feel rather frustrated sometimes about the lack of understanding in people. I hate the doubt and skepticism, and the judgement from people who think i'm merely doing this for money. It is so much more than that...
 
Much Love
 
Tanti Abbracci
 
<3
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment